Short Story Competitions
La Scala Studios : East Yorkshire’s premier equestrian photographer
2011 Competition Rules
1. Entries must be typed, double or 1.5 line spaced, no longer than 2000 words, the original work of the author, not previously published and written in English. The theme is ‘Equine/Countryside’. You may interpret this widely; it doesn't have to be about horses.
2. Your name should only appear on the entry form, not the story.
3. Stories will be judged in the Open and Equestrian categories, with special prizes for Yorkshire residents, age categories for under 13s and 13 to 16s, plus a special prize for the best story with a racing theme.
4. Entry fee: The entry fee is £5 per story, reduced to £3 per story for Pony Club or Riding Club members. And entry is free if you enclose originals (no photocopies) of vouchers (one per story) from one of Redpin Publishing’s magazines: Equestrian Plus, South East Rider, East Anglia Rider, All Horse, Ridgeway Rider or Welsh Rider.
5. To be eligible for a Yorkshire resident prize, entries must come from a Yorkshire address.
6. No more than 3 stories per entrant.
7. Submit either by email to email@example.com following the guidelines on the entry form or by post with an entry form attached.
8. Entries will not be returned except where a professional critique is requested. In this case, a SAE must be included.
9. Entries remain the copyright of the author but La Scala Studios reserves the right to arrange first publication of the winning entries for 6 months following awarding of prizes. Note that the 2010 winning entry was published in a national magazine, Equestrian Plus.
10. No director or employee of La Scala Studios or the competition sponsors or their family members are allowed to enter.
11. Failure to observe the rules may result in disqualification.
12. Enclose a SAE marked ‘Winners’ to receive a list of prize-winners.
13. Entrants of more than one story may win more than one prize. A single story may be entered only in one section of the competition.
14. Deadline for receipt of entries is 15 September 2011.
For further detail and for tips and tricks on crafting your entry, go to the La Scala Studios website: http://lascalastudios.photium.com or the judge’s website: www.pennygrubb.com